The majority of students in college are often worried regarding facing the burden of debt with regards to paying their education. But there is some good news. There is a way of reducing how much this costs a student in earning their college degree.
Some Golden Tips to Follow
Below are some tips that will help a student in earning ample scholarship money through graduate school scholarships and thereby be well on their way in reducing their college costs.
- Begin early- The truth is there is absolutely no requirement to wait until the junior year to begin applying for a scholarship. Beginning early will give a student more time for researching and completing scholarship applications. Moreover, beginning early reflects those rewarding the scholarship that the student is motivated.
- Scholarship matching tools- Various sites such as FastWeb, Unigo, Cappex, and Scholly search via huge databases of current scholarships and will offer students with a scholarship list which is ideal for them. Prior to applying, the student should go through the rules in the scholarship carefully. It is always best to focus on a scholarship that the student is the perfect match for, as well as rule out all others.
- Big and small scholarships- Scholarships are something that should not be overlooked. Even smaller ones can prove beneficial. The higher a student applies; the better will be their odds of winning for sure. This way, they can add up quickly to aid cover the college expenses.
- Scholarship with essays- Often students shy away from scholarships which need essays, yet one that is well-written can act as a student’s ticket to be head and shoulders above others in the crowd. For students that do not possess good writing skills can work can either attend writing workshops or work with their college guidance counselor for creating a highly memorable essay.
- Look beyond the grades- The truth is a student do not require in having a 4.0 in order to qualify for a scholarship. Some scholarships, in fact, do not consider grades at all. No matter if a student has top grades or low, it is extremely crucial to find a means of standing out from the rest on their scholarship applications. Prior to filing the application, the student must think as to why he/she should be a scholarship winner. In fact, what are the skills or special talents that they provide? They can perhaps demonstrate their perseverance as first-generation students or maybe their leadership skills on a basketball court that make them unique. No matter what, they need to ensure in highlighting their personality and strengths in their application. This message can also be reinforced via recommendation letters from community members and teachers who know them best. It may include their college counselor, coach, pastor, employer, or any other adult who is well acquainted with them.
- Network- A student should ask their parents in checking with their HR team regarding scholarships, especially for family members. Besides, try in getting the word out to their employers, parent’s friends, and others in the community that the student is in need of a scholarship to pay for college. Their odds of winning will be higher in case of any personal connection. Usually, there are ample scholarships provided locally which are not advertised well. These can often be found through college counselors in the library or local newspaper.
- Continue applying- A student should continue looking for scholarships every year. Some scholarships will allow a student to enter several times.
- Follow the passion- Students should never take part in extracurricular activities only for highlighting it on their application. Rather they should look for an area as to where they can excel. Their passion will definitely shine through, particularly at a time when it comes to describing their extracurricular activities in the scholarship application.
- Look for help- A student’s college counselor is an excellent sounding board with regards to scholarships. In fact, they can aid students to select the best and the most appropriate scholarships to apply for. Above all, they will take enough time in reviewing the student’s submissions and also offer guidance to improve the same. Students can learn enough by checking who won scholarships in the preceding year.
- Practice interview skills- Most scholarships need in-person interviews. To become a good interviewee will take time. Thus, students are highly recommended to answer questions regarding their aspirations, achievements, interests, and background. Most importantly, an interview needs special degrees of social skills; thus, the more comfortable a student is chatting with interviewers and also answering queries, automatically, the more successful the interview will be. Students should never be nervous; in fact, there is no wrong or right answer. The interviewer will desire in getting the real feel when it comes to who the student is, so ultimately an extremely crucial thing here is being oneself.
- Time Management- This factor is extremely crucial, especially if a student is juggling several scholarship applications. It is best in making a calendar of every deadline and provides oneself sufficient time for working on every application as well as ensuring that all the documents are submitted. Most importantly, the student should stop doubting about him/herself and begin applying.
- Attention to details- As mentioned earlier, some scholarships need a student to get letters of recommendation or write essays. Here paying attention to detail should be a priority. A student should send what is requested and above all proofread everything. Missing materials and typos can actually make the difference amid losing or winning a scholarship.
- Do not miss any deadline- Some scholarships are easy and quick to apply while there are some which need more time. Every student should ensure to meet all deadlines. In case the student cannot submit the scholarship application electronically, they can use certified mail. The bottom line is, missing any deadline may disqualify the student for the scholarship.
These are some of the tips that students should consider while applying for a scholarship. Last but not least, the student should be honest and never exaggerate their qualifications, skills, memberships, or grades for best results.