It is essential to test and design your website to be responsive to such factors to make it more consistent UX and changing network conditions. There exists a clear transition towards developing responsive site design over the past few years. Some of the factors responsible for adopting these factors are discussed as follows:
Easy maintenance of the product – write once, deploy anyplace conception.
Cost savings thanks to specific dev and checkability set and tooling used across the RWD SDLC.
With the thrill and edges on top of, there has to be a correct strategy in place around the SDLC, and particularly the check automation angle.
To achieve honest user expertise and higher quality, your RWD check set up ought to target the following vital points:
- Does the applying look okay (visually)?
- Are there any bugs thanks to variation in screen size?
- Is the website optimized for mobile/tablet/laptop?
- How are the image size and quality (this impacts uxor and performance/load time)?
- How do the font size and type like platforms?
- Are the navigations easy (UX/Usability wise)?
- Is there a particular content show, and will it work?
- Does the web site perform systematically across browsers (IE/Safari/Edge/Chrome)?
- Does the RWD website meet the accessibility guidelines?
Automating Responsive Websites with Selenium
As indicated earlier, there exists a lot of tests and considerations to accomplish on an RWD site, Hence testing manually across distinct platforms with the UX/Visual end-goal/performance in mind is not an option.
Selenium has some add-ons like Galen test framework especially to target RWD testing.
- Visual Validation
- Quality Analysis
- Accessibility Compliance
- Environment-Based Testing
Selenium cannot meet a goal of visually testing associate RWD across entirely different platforms and supply insights into a visible defect. This is often wherever tools like Applitools inherit play – complementing antioxidant to feature the capabilities listed on top.
When thinking of thousands of tests being dead across platforms, it’s a challenge at the top every execution to judge each failure, compare the results across distinct platforms and drill down/triage the shortcomings toward a quick resolution. Whether the results are based on Selenium or not being dead through TestNG or another ASCII text file execution framework, aren’t as perceptive once it involves quality analysis at scale.
Environment Condition Testing
Since RWD sites area unit aimed to be utilized by nearly any target platform within the market as well as Smartphones and tablets. It’s vital to appreciate that these platforms area unit sensitive to varied conditions. Also check to arrange things like incoming events, background apps, location services, and ever-changing network conditions is the distinction between a prospering and fascinating RWD and a nasty one.
In nearly any client engagement, the subject of accessibility compliance comes up. Most organizations area unit fighting such testing and, in most cases, they’re running such tests manually.
Considering the quantity of platforms groups got to cowl as a part of associate RWD website testing, adding manual into the combo could be n unhealthy follow, and a speed blocker.
In this post, we tend to coat each the excellent price and edges RWD style of alternative will bring back organizations that implement such, along with some challenges groups may face by merely leveraging the plain antioxidant frameworks.
Now let’s have a look on Selenium Frameworks:
Whenever you visit a website, the browser sends a string called user agent string to the host positioning that you just are visiting. This string indicates that browser engine you’re victimization, its version variety, and details concerning your system, like OS and version. The net server will use this data to produce content that’s tailored for your specific browser.
An example user-agent string appears like this:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE nine.0; Windows NGO vi.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
From a Developer’s perspective
- Are pointers and needs outlined for the net app to send content to the shopper supported the user-agent strings (headers and tokens?)
- Where is that the logic summarized to method user-agent strings? (Web server, shopper aspect js, server aspect ).
- Based on the user agent string that platform and ultimately identifies the shape factor), what will we do with remaining parts that don’t work the dimensions of the Will we hide them OR will we offer the user another experience?
From a Tester’s perspective
- How am I able to take a look at RWD in AN application?
- It is necessary to spot if the simulators/emulators replicate the user-agent behaviour, as a result of ultimately the appliance responds to user-agent strings that the imitator emulates.
- Resizing the browser and testing the new app is a possibility (for entirely different combos of width/height), but that doesn’t offer with an assurance that we’ve valid RWD entirely.
- Why do I even have to fret concerning this stuff?
- Well, as a result of the responsive net take a look at Selenium automation isn’t solely necessary, however additionally essential currently. Just once we all know this background, we are going to appreciate the settings on browsers that we’d an amendment as a part of automation scripts.
- The two main settings that I might prefer to focus for responsive net style is “user-agent” and window “(width, height) “
The assumption we tend to create during this section is that there’s logically engineered by the net application to create itself responsive within the browser. We tend to be corroborative whether or not that behavior is for sure through take a look at Test Automation.
Having a clear RWD check strategy that extends antioxidant and adds capabilities like those documented on top of will enhance the check automation coverage; unleash cycle speed and overall RWD website engagement.